Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Things to see and do
Heigham Holmes Open Day
The annual Heigham Holmes Open Day will be held on 10 August 2014. This secret island is a hidden gem in the Norfolk Broads and is home to a host of wildlife some of which is unique to the area including the Swallowtail Butterfly and the Common Crane. Enter the via a special swing bridge at Martham Ferry and enjoy a day out as a family. Why not bring a picnic and enjoy the outdoor games we have on offer. Activities include kite flying, bug hunting, pond dipping, nature trails, and more. Light refreshments are available including hot drinks, cold drinks, ice cream and snacks. Come and go anytime between 11am and 4:30pm and admission is free but please note some activities provided may be chargeable. Please see events for more details.
Mass flowering of buttercups, skylarks sing on high and the tumbling aerial displays of lapwing.<...
The sound of...
The buzz of insects, the quiet chewing of a water vole and the rustle of a lizard.
Butterflies flutter, hobbies hawk for dragonflies, marsh harriers feed their fledglings.
Pink footed & white-fronted geese return for winter. short-eared owls & calling cranes.
Things to remember
- Pre-booked group visits only to Heigham Holmes.
- There are no toilets or tearoom - bring a snack if you want to.
- It is much bigger than you think - be suited and booted for walking.
- The weather can change suddenly so be prepared.
- Bring binoculars and a camera - you never know what you might see.
- Heigham is part of a working farm - we may need to adjust our walk on occasion.
- On most events - sorry but dogs are not permitted - to reduce disturbance to livestock, wildlife and fellow visitors.