This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
White Peak Estate, including Ilam Park, Dovedale and Hamps and Manifold Valleys
Situated in the spectacular setting of the Staffordshire and Derbyshire Peak District, Ilam Park makes an ideal base to explore the other parts of the White Peak area.
White Peak incorporates several key areas that are well worth a visit. These include: Dovedale; the Manifold Valley; Ilam Park; Ecton Mine, Stanton Moor Edge; Miller's Dale and Ravenstor; and High Wheeldon.
Places to visit
- In Dovedale: Stepping Stones, Milldale, Wolfscote Hill and Biggin Dale
- In Manifold Valley: Wetton Mill, Ecton Mine Engine House, Manifold light railway track, the disappearing Rivers Hamps and Manifold, Apes Tor and Beeston Tor
- In Ilam Park: the River Manifold and Boil Holes, Bunster Hill, Hinkley Wood, the Visitor Centre, tea-room, shop and caravan site
- Around Monyash House Farm: Monyash Moor and Ferndale
- Near Stanton Moor Edge: Stanton Moor
- In Miller's Dale and Ravenstor: Bellamy's Bank, Tideswell Dale, River Wye, Monsal Trail and Ravenstor YHA
Dovedale Hoard on public display
An excavation in Dovedale unearthed a hoard of Late Iron Age and Republican Roman coins, the first time coins of these two origins are thought to have been found buried together in a cave in Britain.
The coins have been cleaned by conservation specialists at the British Museum and University College London and are now on public display at Buxton Museum.
Watch this film to find out more.