The recent history of the Castle is dominated by the design genius of Edwin 'Ned' Lutyens and Gertrude 'Bumps' Jekyll, along with the man who brought them to Holy Island, Edward Hudson.
Did you know?
- The first fort on the Island was probably east of the present Castle
- The fort was captured by Jacobite rebels in October 1715
- Much of the fort was built with stone 'recycled' from the old Priory
- The fort protected the 'last harbour' in England south of the border
- Edward Hudson wanted to build gatehouses and a huge water garden here
- Country Life ran a special feature on Lutyens' work here in June 1913
- Sir Edward de Stein gave the Castle to the National Trust in 1944
Although Lindisfarne is now open to visitors as a Lutyens-designed Edwardian house, there is so much more to the place than that. In fact, it was a holiday home for only about 70 of its over 450-year history.
Lutyens moulded the old fort into a comfortable home and some features were lost in the process. Many however, have survived.
Lindisfarne was a only a holiday home for around 70 years in the 20th century. For over 300 years though, it was a garrisoned fort manned by soldiers.
We're currently looking in more detail at the Victorian fort building that was transformed by Lutyens. As well as the built evidence, we have census records and documents in the local record office to investigate.