Our most frequently asked questions

  • Getting here

    January is the month for browsing the new Handbook. In response to requests from members, we have also produced a printed ‘Getting Here’ booklet with directions to all our properties. This is available at properties or can be mailed to you free of charge on request, Tel: 0344 800 1895 (local call rates apply).

  • Does my card cover Scottish properties?

    Members of the National Trust are also admitted free of charge to properties of the National Trust for Scotland (NTS), a separate charity with similar responsibilities. NTS properties include the famous Inverewe Garden, Bannockburn, Culloden and Robert Adam's masterpiece, Culzean Castle.

  • Senior concessions

    As a charity supported by its members, the Trust does not provide a universal concession for pensioner visitors or members. However, in recognition of the loyalty of certain older members, we do offer a discount on renewal of membership to those members aged 60 and over, who have been a member for at least 5 years in the last 10.

    For further details, please call to speak to a member of our team on 0344 800 1895 (local call rates apply).

  • Where else can I use my card?

    There are 14 countries altogether with similar organisations operating reciprocal visiting arrangements with National Trust members - so you can use your National Trust membership card to visit their places.

  • Where can I visit?

    We care for over 248,000 hectares of beautiful countryside, more than 700 miles of coastline and hundreds of buildings and gardens. To find out what there is in your area or anywhere in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, see our Visit section.

  • Lost or stolen card

    Contact the Supporter Services Centre on 0844 800 1895 or 0344 800 1895 (local call rates apply), or by email at enquiries@nationaltrust.org.uk. The ‘members with no card’ form is available from properties. This can be filled in and, if the receipts are forwarded with the form, the Supporter Services Centre will refund the entry cost in Trust vouchers.

  • Can I get in without my card?

    You will be asked to pay an admission fee, even if you have forgotten your card. Annual and life members can return their admission tickets in exchange for some Trust vouchers, less an admin fee. Explain to the member of staff that you are member without your card, and they will help you to complete a 'member without card claim form', then submit your form to Supporter Services Centre.

  • I have received a reminder for payment

    However, I have already sent payment for my membership subscription.

    In some cases we have had problems applying cheque payments to members' records. These problems are being rectified, but in the meantime the system is sending out automatic reminders. Most affected members will be contacted directly, if you are concerned call the Supporter team on 0844 800 1895 or 0344 800 1895 (local call rates apply) and ask for your record to be updated.

  • How do I order another handbook?

    If you have lost or damaged your Handbook, fancy an extra copy for the glovebox or study you can order an extra copy as a member for the reduced price of £9.99 plus p&p.

    Copies are available by phone from the National Trust Bookshop, tel. 0845 672 0012 (9am-5.30pm, Mon-Fri) or online through our bookshop.

  • Complaints

    Our complaints procedure can be used to register any dissatisfaction with our service, raise issues of policy or ask about any aspect of our activities.

    You can always raise a query at the time of visiting a property and ask a member of staff for help or information. They will be glad to help if they are able. Comments cards, often found within our restaurants or tea-rooms, are another good alternative.

  • How can I join the National Trust?

    There are many different ways to join the National Trust. As well as enjoying all the great benefits membership brings, you will be supporting our conservation work, which would be impossible without your help.

    You can join at your local property, over the phone, Tel: 0844 800 1895 or 0344 800 1895 (local call rates apply) or apply online.