Moseley Old Hall's plain scones
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 450g (1lb) of self-raising flour
- 100g (4oz) of butter
- 75g (3oz) sugar
- 1/2 pint of milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan assisted), 210 degrees if not.
- Put the flour and the butter in a mixing bowl and rub with fingers to make the mixture into fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and any supplementary ingredient such as sultana's or cherries if you like.
- Add the beaten egg and then start to add the milk.
- Mixing with a knife keep adding milk until you have a soft dough. You may not need all the milk so take your time.
- Turn dough out on to a floured surface and briefly knead then roll out.
- Cut into scones using a pastry cutter. The number of scones depends on the size of the cutter. A 5cm (2 inch) cutter will make 8 lovely large scones. You could do smaller scones in a different shape. We do heart-shaped ones for weddings at Moseley Old Hall.
- Put onto a greased baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
- Put in oven for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden brown. Keep an eye on them!