This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
A 1920s house captured in time
Step back in time to the 1920s and find out how a grocer's family lived in this market town. This ordinary semi-detached house, with original interior decorations from 1923, was the home of the Straw family.
For 60 years the family threw little away and chose to live without many of the modern comforts we take for granted.
Photographs, letters, Victorian furniture and household objects spanning 100 years can still be seen exactly where their owners left them.
Putting Mr Straw's House to bed...
With the 2013 season drawn to a close here at Mr Straw's, the house is now being put to bed for the winter.
But what happens when we're closed?
It is actually the busiest time of the year. With lots to do to ensure the conservation of our collection and to prepare for 2014, our staff are working hard behind the scenes.
Keep your eye out for special events taking place over the winter, where you can come and see for yourself what goes on behind closed doors...
15-22 March, 11am-4pm
As part of Shakespeare Week, take a unique tour through our extraordinary home, learning the fascinating story of William Straw Junior's love of literature.
Cadbury's Easter Egg Trail
5-26 April, 11am-4pm
Whilst you tour through the house, look amongst the clutter and find the hidden objects, follow the clues and answer the questions to win a chocolatey prize.
Beyond the ropes
1 May, 10am-12pm or 1.30pm-3.30pm
Join our staff and volunteers on this behind the scenes look at Mr Straw's House. This is your chance to get beyond the ropes and learn of the hidden treasures within, followed by tea and cakes with the team.
Before you visit...
- Don't forget to book a tour! As Mr Straw's House is rather cosy, it is essential to book in advance.
- Bookings must be made by telephone only.
- Our email address is for enquiries, not bookings - so please call us if you'd like to book.
- It is sometimes possible to make a same day booking, but please do call us to check before setting off.
- Tours run every 15 minues from 11am until 4pm, with a maximum of 4 people per tour.
- There are several flights of steep stairs in the property. If your party requires extra time for mobility reasons, just let us know in advance.
- For conservation reasons, we ask that bags are left securely at reception.