This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Ordinary house, extraordinary home
Step back in time to the 1920s and discover how a grocer's family lived in a Midlands market town through their furnishings and household objects.
The modest semi-detached house at number 7, Blyth Grove has remained virtually unchanged since the Straws moved here in 1923. For over 60 years they threw little away and chose to live without many of the modern comforts we take for granted today.
Treasured possessions and ordinary domestic items can still be seen exactly where their owners left them in number 7, while number 5 provides space for displaying objects normally hidden inside drawers and cupboards.
Outside, the lovingly tended garden and orchard includes a greenhouse housing Walter Straw's cacti collection and various fruit trees once used by the family to make preserves and other recipes.
Tasting the Past
Tuesday 16 September 11am-4pm
Try some seasonal treats from Florence Straw's recipe books and taste apples fresh from the orchard.
Normal admission prices, times and timed entry systems apply. Donations welcome
Walking William & Walter's Worksop
Monday 29 September 2- 4.30pm
Meet at Mr Straw's House for this guided walk taking in locations known and loved by the Straw family, and followed by tea and biscuits. Part of the Great British Walk.
Booking essential. £10 per person, including National Trust members
The Straws Revealed
Thursday 9 October, 11am-1pm
Take a trip back in time with a guided tour through this 1920s home then delve into the archives to see some of the objects that were important to the Straw family.
Booking essential. £4 per person plus normal admission charges
Tuesday 28 October - Saturday 1 November 11am - 4pm
Visit a house where time stands still and seek out some spooky objects on our haunting Hallowe'en trail.
Normal admission charges, times and timed entry systems apply.
Putting the House to Bed
Monday 17 November 2-4pm
Wrap up warm to find out what happens during the winter months, discover how we care for Mr Straw's treasures and enjoy tea and cake with the team.
Booking essential. £15 per person, including NT members
Before you visit...
- Don't forget to book in advance by telephoning 01909 482380.
- We operate a timed ticket entry system, admitting a maximum of 4 visitors every 15 minutes between 11am and 4pm Tuesday to Saturday.
- It is often possible to make a same day booking, but please do call us to check before setting off.
- Our email address is for enquiries, not bookings, as we can't always access it during the day. We hope to have on-line booking later this year.
- There are several flights of steep stairs at Mr Straw's House. If you think you'll need extra time to get around, just let us know in advance.
- To protect the 1920s wallpaper in Mr Straw's House we don't allow any bags inside. We have secure storage in our reception.
- We sell drinks and snacks and have picnic tables in the garden.