History

The Peckovers of Wisbech

Jonathan Peckover bought Peckover House in the 1790s © Andreas von Einsiedel

Jonathan Peckover bought Peckover House in the 1790s

Peckover House, its garden and estate of 48 acres were given to the National Trust in 1943 by Alexandrina Peckover, the last descendant of Jonathan Peckover, the Quaker banker who had purchased the property in the 1790s.

The Garden

The two-acre Victorian garden has hidden corners and paths, and the occasional touch of the exotic.

Over the past 200 years it has developed considerably through successive generations of ownership and care.

The House

The house stands in the heart of Wisbech

The house stands in the heart of Wisbech

Peckover is a Georgian house full of surprises: it is elegant and refined, yet intimate and relaxed. Standing at the heart of Wisbech, the house is reflection of the Peckover families wealth, status and austerity.

Quakerism and the Peckovers

The Peckovers were a family of wealthy bank managers and Quakers

The Peckovers were a family of wealthy bank managers and Quakers

Through their faith Quakers displayed compassion, generosity and a curiosity about the world and its people.

Throughout our 2014 season we will be commemorating the outbreak of World War One and what the Quakers, and the Peckover family did towards the war effort. For more information about the work that the Quakers did during WW1, please follow this link.

Peckover House and the National Trust

Since 1949 Peckover House, under the ownership of the National Trust, has been welcoming visitors.

The presentation of the House and Garden continues to be an evolving and ongoing process.

Wainman House, North Brink, Wisbech

Wainman House (next door to Peckover House) has undergone a two year restoration project, and is now open as a holiday cottage to visitors.

Find out more about its story below...

This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.

The Peckovers on holiday

Share