Reigate Fort at Reigate Hill and Gatton Park
Step back in time and venture into the dark concrete voids of Reigate fort and discover why England needed such a strong defence built in the first place.
Why was the fort built?
Did you know?
- Reigate Fort is one of 13 forts built along the North Downs
- It cost £11,339 to construct
- The fort was originally called a Mobilisation Centre
- Reigate Fort was built in 1898 as part of the London Defence Scheme
- By 1906 the Government no longer felt that it was needed