Outridge Farm on Toys Hill
Outridge Farm is an 80 acre farm set on the side of Toy's Hill. It has an impressive grade 2 listed square oast house and piggery located in its centre and is home to the Octavia Hill basecamp.
This place gives a fantasic feel of openness and freedom in stark contrast to Toy's Hill. Outridge is a marvellous place to enjoy a peaceful relaxing walk, admire fine views over the north downs and discover the wildlife it supports.
All the buildings at Outridge are Grade II listed. The earliest dates back to the 15th century and the most recent is of 19th century construction.
The buildings at Outridge are all examples of vernacular architecture, which is a category of architecture based on localized needs and construction materials, and reflecting local traditions.
The oast houses were originally used for the production of hops for beer. The hops would be dried, crushed and then packaged ready to be taken to a nearby brewery.
Visiting Outridge Farm
- Nearest refreshments and toilets at Emmetts Garden, 2 miles away.
- Dogs are welcome at Outridge, but we ask you give our livestock a wide berth
- Enjoy the livestock at a distance, not up close, as our ewes can abandon their lambs when they get scared
- Outridge may unsuitable for younger children due to the steep slopes and rough track
- Outridge is a working farm, we ask that you take care around the livestock in the fields and please give way to any machinery you may see on site.
- Please take care on the uneven ground with some slopes and steps.
How to get here
- Outridge is unsuitable for vehicles due to its rough bumpy track.
- Nearest public car park is 2 miles away at Toy's Hill. It is free to use and open from dawn to dusk. Outridge is a working farm and therefore we ask that you leave your car behind and enjoy the countryside on foot.
- Address: Piper's Green Road, Brasted, Westerham, Kent, TN16 1ND