Will you take a hike to the top of a hill? Crunch leaves underfoot in the forest? Or breathe in the salty air on a seaside stroll? Autumn's setting in, and it's the best time of year to explore the countryside. Pick from our easy, moderate or guided walks:
- Easy walking routes in the North East
- Moderate walking routes in the North East
- Guided and special interest walks in the North East
We all love great views, and in autumn, there are some pretty spectacular and colourful ones. We've scoured the North East and Yorkshire for the best views you can get, and put them together into one handy list for you. Where will you go first?
Great North Run
It's hard to watch the Great North Run and not feel the urge to want to be part of something so amazing. If you're been inspired and are thinking about next year's race already - check out our running routes and groups to the right. We also host a number of races in the beautiful countryside we look after. Worth a look. Some could form part of your training.
Do you prefer running in a group, finding a scenic route and going solo, or getting competitive in a race? Either way, we hope our running groups, routes and races will give you inspiration to dust off those trainers and get running!
- Running groups at Gibside and South Shields
- Scenic running routes at Hadrian's Wall, Allen Banks and South Tyneside
- The race is on! Races at the places we look after in the North East
Our promise to cyclists
We're serious about cycling here at the National Trust in the North East. And we just love seeing people turn up at our places on two wheels - it's great for the environment. To say thank you, we promise to look after your cycling needs. We have places to lock up your bike, we'll help out if you've got a puncture, and we'll even throw in a free cuppa if you're buying a meal or snack from us.
Downloadable cycle routes
- Short loop - 13 miles around Wallington's countryside
- Medium route - 31 miles along quiet country roads around Wallington
- Medium route - 38 miles of Northumberland Coast taking in two castles
- Challenging route - 52 miles for experienced cyclists taking in Wallington and Cragside
- The big challenge - 109 miles taking in Cragside, Wallington and Hadrian's Wall