Walking in the North East
Will you take a hike to the top of a hill? Crunch leaves underfoot in the forest? Or enjoy the salty air on a seaside stroll? Even when it's a bit cold and grey outside, a breath of fresh air can do the world of good.
Our promise to cyclists
We're serious about cycling here at the National Trust in the North East. And we just love seeing people turn up at our places on two wheels - it's great for the environment. To say thank you, we promise to look after your cycling needs. We have places to lock up your bike, we'll help out if you've got a puncture, and we'll even throw in a free cuppa if you're buying a meal or snack from us.
Downloadable cycle routes
- Short loop - 13 miles around Wallington's countryside
- Medium route - 31 miles along quiet country roads around Wallington
- Medium route - 38 miles of Northumberland Coast taking in two castles
- Challenging route - 52 miles for experienced cyclists taking in Wallington and Cragside
- The big challenge - 109 miles taking in Cragside, Wallington and Hadrian's Wall
Gibside's well known for gentle strolls, cream teas and farmers markets. But how about prambling, night walking or fishing? We've teamed up with Sports England to offer you a range of exciting ways to get sporty at Gibside - from running and cycling to volley ball and more.