From our wildlife cam
The Derwent River borders Gibside to the north. It’s rare to catch a glimpse of an otter on the river, usually we just see their webbed footprints in the muddy river banks, or spraints (otter poo) on prominent rocks and tree stumps. This otter was caught on a trail camera having a good scratch and scent-marking on the riverbank trees.
Join us for a ramble with a ranger
- There are selection of rambles you can join to find out more about the local wildlife throughout the seasons
- Woodland and garden birds 22 and 25 January
- Red Kite Ramble 19 and 22 February
- Mammal tracking 19 and 22 March
- Nesting birds 23 and 26 April