Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
This tranquil area was once site of 'Dawson City' and a huge railway bridge of which just the stone stanchions remain. Now the woodland and river are a lovely spot for a picnic.
- Learning about our history on a guided tour of Gibson Mill
- Dressing up in old-fashioned costumes in Gibson Mill
- Crossing the river on the stepping stones
- Spotting the large nests of our northern hairy wood ants
- Enjoying tea and cake at the Weaving Shed Café
- Keep an eye out for school holiday activities
This walk guides you through the wooded valleys of Hardcastle Crags, taking you through a number of different natural habitats along the way. Keep your eyes peeled for all kinds of flora and fauna along the way.
Explore the past
People have lived, worked and played in this surprising location for over 200 years.
Discover how a 19th-century cotton mill evolved into a 20th-century popular entertainment venue and finally became the 21st-century example of sustainability you can visit today.
Displays and guided tours help bring our history to life.