This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Notice: Part of the boardwalk is closed this weekend (7th - 8th December) as there is a dangerous tree along it (damage sustained in the storm on the evening of the 5th December) Please stay out of the area marked with hazard tape and signs.
Ancient royal hunting forest
No other forest on earth evokes the atmosphere of a medieval hunting forest so completely.
The ancient trees of the forest are like magnificent living sculptures, peaceful giants worn and fragile from centuries of seasons and use. Some of our extraordinary ancient trees are 1,200 years old. Just imagine what these trees have lived through and the stories they could tell.
Whether you want somewhere for the children to run off energy, somewhere you can run to keep fit, or somewhere to walk where you can quietly reflect, you will find your own special place somewhere in Hatfield Forest.
Five free things to do
- Try our new Hatfield Forest smartphone app. Download it before your visit or borrow a tablet device from our shop
- Go geocaching - follow GPS coordinates to find hidden treasure
- Use twigs and sticks to build a secret den in the trees
- Borrow a tracker pack and explore the Forest - ask at the shop
- Stretch your legs on a walk - enjoy the many paths through the Forest