A house created by two families
It was built by the Lytes family who owned it from the 13th to the 18th century. Sir Walter Jenner bought Lytes Cary in 1907 and rescued it from decay.
From the 13th century to the 18th century, Lytes Cary Manor was the home of the Lyte family. The founder of that family was William le Lyte, who was a feudal tenant of the estate as early as 1286. It is believed that his grandson Peter built the chapel which dates back to 1343.
Over the next six generations the Lytes gradually expanded the house around it, selling the estate in 1755 when the family encountered serious financial difficulties.
Lytes Cary was then tenanted by a series of farmers until Sir Walter Jenner bought the estate in 1907. When the Jenners arrived the Great Hall was being used as a cider press, the Great Parlour was housing agricultural materials and the Little Parlour was a carpenter’s workshop, it later became Sir Walter's private study. He restored the house to a 17th-century style and also added on a new west wing.
The house as it stands today is filled with the collection lovingly restored and used by the Jenners, who bequeathed it to the National Trust in 1949.