An Arts and Crafts inspired garden
The garden you see today at Lytes Cary Manor is very different to the garden that existed during the 17th and 18th centuries when the Lyte family were in residence. During this time the garden would've had more of a practical use.
Henry Lyte's son, Thomas, maintained the orchard where he grew apples, pears, plums, grapes, cherries, walnuts and peaches. Sadly during the decline of the property in the Victorian period, much of the original garden was lost.
When the Jenners took up residence in 1907 the garden needed a complete overhaul and was redesigned in the Arts and Crafts style that was popular at the time. The design featured mostly rectangular ‘rooms’ separated by yew hedges and stone walls, each reflecting a different mood or purpose.
After Sir Walter Jenner passed away in 1948, leaving Lytes Cary to the National Trust, it was let in 1955 to Jeremy Chittenden and his wife Biddy. Both worked tirelessly over the next 45 years to transform the gardens into those we enjoy today.