The early Georgian mansion and parkland
Stackpole Court was built in the 1730s, on the site of an earlier house. This shows the neat Palladian mansion from the front. You can see Sir John Campbell out riding to the left of the picture, on the approach to Stackpole Court from the One-Arch Bridge.
Stackpole Court's Edwardian heyday
The neat Georgian mansion was rebuilt in the 1840s, becoming a sprawling Victorian house in the process. This photograph, around 1900,shows the front of the Court in its Edwardian heyday. The front of the house boasted a handsome portico, with cannons dating from the Napoleonic Wars. King Edward Vll stayed here in 1902.
Decline and fall of a great house
Two world wars brought a century of decline. Half the estate was taken by the Ministry of Defence to form Castlemartin Range in 1939. Soldiers billeted in Stackpole Court during the war caused huge damage by stripping lead from the roof, causing dry and wet rot. Stackpole Court was demolished in 1963.
Look in Stackpole Cheriton Church for the memorial to Captain the Honourable Ronald Campbell of the Coldstream Guards, who died in the Zulu War in March 1879. Captain Campbell was the second son of the second Earl of Cawdor, and ADC to Sir Evelyn Wood, VC. He died heroically charging a cave defended by Zulus on the side of Hlobane Mountain during a desperate assault in the third month of the war. The battle of Hlobane took place two months after the famous battle of Rorke's Drift, which featured in the film Zulu.