House & chapel
All 106 rooms of the house, as well as the chapel were affected by the rewiring, plumbing and roof repairs, so it’s been a busy winter getting everything cleaned and back in place.
Unpacking and unwrapping
Now that the major reservicing works are complete we’re beginning to re-present the rooms, evoking the different ways all four generations of the Gibbs’ family used the house.
Very few Victorian houses had private purpose-built chapels, especially on the scale and grandeur of Tyntesfield’s but William Gibbs who commissioned the building of the chapel in 1873 was deeply religious and a passionate supporter of the Oxford or High Church Movement.
A little piece of Paris
Inspired by the flamboyant Gothic architecture of Sainte Chapelle in Paris, every aspect of the chapel is decorated, from the beautiful mosaic floor to the flowering brass chandeliers, which is typical of the Oxford or High Church Movement.
Going to the chapel...
Rise and decline
Tyntesfield is the continuing story of a great Victorian estate and house, which was created by the Gibbs family. The fortunes of the Gibbs rose to fabulous wealth with William Gibbs’ (1790 – 1875) trade in the droppings of South American sea birds, called guano, which became Britain's most popular fertiliser. In the 1860s, he re-modelled Tyntesfield, a Regency country house, into a fantastic Gothic masterpiece. By the 20th century, like many English country houses, Tyntesfield entered a period of decline.