This spring, our herd of Exmoor ponies has returned to the cliffs. For the first time in over 100 years, there’ll be ponies grazing the area above the Port of Dover, on a newly constructed site. As part of the project, we have installed a fence around the whole area. However to protect the beauty of this special place, wherever possible, we've tried not to let the fence spoil the view. We've also put in loads of gates so you can take a walk with the ponies and enjoy the view too.
What we're working on this summer
- Access management, making sure paths are clear and cutting back any growth across footpaths.
- Bringing back the Exmoor ponies from their winter feeding areas to Foxhill Down.
- Improving the presentation of the site, repairing fences and checking signs and seats.
- Management of the new land in our care, cut and collecting the grass after the birds have had the seeds.
- Working with the Fan Bay Deep Shelter volunteers to prepare the area around the tunnels.