Scrub, which is small trees and bushes, will develop naturally on any land that isn’t managed. We control the growth of scrub with our heard of Exmoor ponies, but we also need to clear patches of scrub to help the chalk grassland plants to thrive. We’ll be removing some of the scrub on Foxhill Down this winter as part of our programme of work, so you may see us if you’re out for a walk.
What we're working on this Autumn
- Clearing the scrub around Fan Bay Deep Shelter, ready for the archaeological work to begin.
- Improving the presentation of the site, repairing fences and checking signs and seats.
- Mowing to mimic the grazing of the ponies in areas that are difficult to get to; which helps the grassland plants to prosper.
- Refurbishing picnic benches, ready for next year.
- Controlling scrub re-growth on recently cleared areas.