Lode Mill in action
Lode Mill has been in operation for a couple of centuries. Most of its current working parts are about 150 years old.
However there has been a mill on this site for around a thousand years. A mill is referred to here in the Domesday Book.
Take a look at this video to see what it's like in Lode Mill now.
Visiting the mill
- Open from 11am - 3:30pm, Wednesday to Sunday
- View the gearwheels on the ground floor
- Watch the flour comes out of the chute and into a sack
- See the pair of working grindstones on the first floor
- Visit the display area on the second floor
Although the current mill most likely dates from the 18th century, there is evidence of a watermill being on the site since the 10th century. There have been different styles of milling on the site in its near 1,000 year history and a number of restorations.