Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
In 2015 we will be commemorating the 400th anniversary of the death of Arbella Stuart, the granddaughter of Bess of Hardwick and niece to Mary Queen of Scots.
Discover more about Arbella and explore whether you think Hardwick was built as a palace fit for a queen or a prison for a princess, whose desperate attempts to seek freedom ended at the Tower of London.
Be a ranger for the day
Get outdoors with the ranger team this autumn and get hands on in the woodlands clearing rhododendron and snowberry from the park so wild flowers can flourish.
Wednesday 28 October and Wednesday 25 November, 10am - 3pm. Tickets are £5 which will go toward the on going conservation of the park.
Look out for this Autumn
- Our Great British walking festival walks
- Hearty puddings in the restaurant
- Take a bit of Hardwick home with our delicious apples from the Orchard
- Discover something new on the Behind the Scenes tour
- Exploring Arbella's bower in Park Piece
- Autumn colour in the Park
- Stretch your legs on one of the self led walks across the parkland
- Pick up a tracker pack and explore the parkland
- Pick up early Christmas presents in the Shop
A golden autumn at Hardwick means
In the garden
The mammoth task of trimming all of the hedges begins, there are over 19km of hedge to trim!
In the house
The team are preparing and planning for the winter deep clean.
In the park
The ranger team are working to ensure the all of our path network is clear for walkers