On this tour of Knole's often-forgotten attic spaces, our knowledgeable guides will reveal the stories behind centuries of graffiti, lost 17th century letters, witchmarks and a curiously sloped floor.
- Booking essential
- Admission applies
Hidden above the grandeur of the showrooms lie Knole's attics - sometimes inhabited but more often used for storage, these spaces have evolved over the centuries with each generation. These behind the scenes tours will take in the impressive decorated ceilings and fireplaces of the Retainer's Gallery, South Barracks and Upper Kings Room. Conservation work has been left visible in places, laying open the bare bones of the house and exposing the craftsmanship underlying its structure.
To use the car park at Knole, normal admissions apply so pre-book admission ticket to Knole House to guarantee parking.
|1 adult family||£25.50||£22.50|
|Parking (see note)||N/A||£5.00|
What is Gift Aid?
Most of our places run the Gift Aid on Entry scheme at their admission points.
Under this scheme, if you're not a member you have the choice of two entry tickets:
- Gift Aid Admission
- Standard Admission
If the place runs Gift Aid on Entry, we'll offer you a clear choice between the Gift Aid Admission prices and the Standard Admission prices at the admission point. It's entirely up to you which ticket you choose.
Gift Aid Admission includes a 10 per cent or more voluntary donation. Gift Aid Admissions let us reclaim tax on the whole amount paid - an extra 25 per cent - potentially a very significant boost to our places' funds.
An extra £1 paid under the scheme can be worth over £3 to the National Trust as shown below:
|Amount paid by visitor||£11.00||£10.00|
|Tax refund from Government*||£2.75||£0.00|
|Total received by the National Trust||£13.75||£10.00|
*Gift Aid Admissions let us reclaim tax on the whole amount paid - an extra 25 per cent - potentially a very significant boost to our places' funds.
To use the car park you need to pre-book your timed-entry ticket per person on the main website under What's On. A car parking charge of £5 per vehicle is payable on arrival, members park for free with a membership card.
- Booking details
- Call 0344 249 1895
- Content is aimed at an adult audience, children welcome at parents discretion.
- Meeting point
- Please go to the Visitor Centre on arrival to exchange your ticket for a tour pass. The visitor welcome team will direct you to the meeting point for your tour.
- What to bring and wear
- Attic tours explore some of Knole's long forgotten areas. Please wear comfortable and flat footwear. You will be asked to leave any large bags and rucksacks in lockers.
- Please expect steep staircases and uneven floors in places. The attics are not accessible for wheelchairs or pushchairs. If you require a carer, please call us on 01732 462100 to arrange this.
- Tours will start promptly at 11.30am. Due to the attics location it will not be possible to join tours after 11.30am. Please ensure you arrive in plenty of time to park and collect your tour pass from the Visitor Centre. We recommend arriving at Knole no later than 11am. It is not possible to issue refunds for tours if you are unable to attend or arrive after the tour has started. Numbers are strictly limited on these exclusive tours. Please ensure you book a ticket for every member of your party. It will not be possible to purchase additional tour tickets on the day of your visit. Please note that attics tours do not include entry to the showrooms or car parking.