The history of Scotney Castle
Scotney Castle is steeped in centuries of history and our team of volunteers are always unearthing Scotney’s secrets and unveiling the past. The earliest record of occupancy dates from 1137 but from 1778, it was the Hussey family who were in residence at Scotney until it was left to the National Trust in 1970 by the last Hussey to live there, Christopher Hussey.
Pages to the past
'Vix ea nostra voco'
Did you know?
- There is a secret door in the library made to look like a bookcase
- Margaret Thatcher had an apartment here during her time in office
- Richard Gere starred in a film here in 1979 called Yanks
- There are hidden priest holes in the Old Castle
- In the quarry there is the footprint of an Iguanadon