Shopping at Scotney Castle
With seasonal items and fashion accessories, garden supplies, home décor, books, locally-produced artisanal goods, cards and toys, the shop at Scotney has a wide range of products for you to browse, whether you're after souvenirs from your visit or are looking for an exclusive National Trust Christmas gift for a friend (or yourself).
You'll find the main shop in the Courtyard at Scotney. As well as our range of National Trust chutneys, jams, biscuits and treats, the shop stocks fashion accessories including hats, scarves and bags with designs inspired by our places, items for the garden such as kneelers, wildflower seed, bird feeders and lanterns, as well as an array of toys, books and stationery. You'll also find distinctive items for the home including mugs, cosy throws and blankets, and scented candles.
If you're looking for a memento of your visit, you'll find a wide choice of Scotney-branded items including postcards, tea towels, mugs, fridge magnets, bookmarks, keyrings, pens, pencils and jigsaw puzzles.
And, as you'd expect for Scotney, canine companions are also well catered for with a selection of dog toys, treats, portable water bowls, and doggy ice creams.
Shop local this Christmas
We try to support local producers and suppliers wherever possible - partly to reduce road miles and improve sustainability, but mainy because we have such an amazing array of artisan producers in Kent and Sussex to draw on. Do look out for our many locally-sourced items including:
- Handmade wooden jewellery by Lucy Alice from Folkestone
- In the Loop cocktails, based in Uckfield, who use home-grown lemon verbena, grapes grown in England, and seven English botanicals including gorse flowers foraged from the Ashdown Forest in their range.
- Kate Neame's beautiful lino-cut printed greetings cards
- Celia Pike's portrait cards of Betty Hussey's famous "Puss"
- Olio of Oxney's lavender cushions
- Beautifully-fragranced vegan-friendly soap from the English Soap Company based in Sussex
- Westerham Brewery in Sevenoaks who use the hops from Scotney's own hop farm to produce their Spirit of Kent pale ale and Grasshopper red ale
- Knotts Wood hand-turned wooden bowls and vases
- Blended Therapies 'Ouch' essential oils cream to ease muscle and joint pain and improve poor circulation
- Wood Cottage Craft wooden garden mushrooms and fairy doors
From spring to autumn, the plant shop in the Courtyard sells beautiful perennial flowering plants and herbs, all in peat-free compost.
There's also a wide range of pots and containers and garden ornaments such as decorative metal plant stakes, pot hangers and wind chimes. You'll also find bird feeders and bird baths, as well as seeds for the birds and seeds for your garden or window-box.
As well as the main shop, our well-stocked second-hand bookshop, Betsy's, is right by the Visitor Entrance. It carries a wide range of pre-loved titles with something for everyone, including collectable older titles, and a children’s corner. The shelves are regularly refreshed so have a browse and discover that out-of-print novel you’ve been searching for, a much-loved classic, or a new author to enjoy.
We also have a range of special collectors' titles that aren't on display but are listed on the pdf below. If you are interested in purchasing any of these titles please get in touch.
Donations of books, particularly children's and young adults' books, are always welcome. These can be left with the team in the Scotney Property Office.
Every penny spent in the second-hand bookshop goes directly into caring for Scotney, so every donation and every purchase really makes a difference. Thank you.