Tithe barn or a Manorial barn?
Bredon barn was built around 1350 at the time of Black Death. Half the population of Bredon were killed by the plague. It was thought that the Bishop who commissioned the building also succumbed to the disease.
The barn was originally commissioned by a bishop and for this reason it was originally thought to be a Tithe barn; a barn where one tenth of annual crops grown or earnt were taken as taxes for the church and clergy.
Subsequent research has indicated that it was actually a manorial barn as the bishop, and subsequent bishops, were also lords of Bredon from 900AD to the mid 1500s. The barn was therefore used to store crops such as wheat, oats, barley, hay, wool and dried peas for the estate. Later the barn was leased to a sucession of farmers.
Bredon barn was donated to the National Trust in 1951 and continued to be used for storing crops until18 April 1980 when a fire swept through the hay-filled barn.
Following a National Trust appeal, and with the help of experts, it was restored over the following three years.
Today the barn is no longer used for storing hay or crops and is now open access, home to many white doves and various species of bat.