Woodland Wassailing Wander
WASSAIL! from the Old English for 'good health', is the custom of blessing the health of apple trees. Explore the mid-winter traditions which our ancestors believed would guarantee a successful harvest.
- Booking not needed
- Free event (admission applies)
Join our self-led Woodland Wassailing Trail to discover the traditions our ancestors believed would guarantee a good harvest, whilst investigating ways we look after natures good health today.
- Event ticket prices
What is Gift Aid?
Most of our places run the Gift Aid on Entry scheme at their admission points.
Under this scheme, if you're not a member you have the choice of two entry tickets:
- Gift Aid Admission
- Standard Admission
If the place runs Gift Aid on Entry, we'll offer you a clear choice between the Gift Aid Admission prices and the Standard Admission prices at the admission point. It's entirely up to you which ticket you choose.
Gift Aid Admission includes a 10 per cent or more voluntary donation. Gift Aid Admissions let us reclaim tax on the whole amount paid - an extra 25 per cent - potentially a very significant boost to our places' funds.
An extra £1 paid under the scheme can be worth over £3 to the National Trust as shown below:
|Amount paid by visitor||£11.00||£10.00|
|Tax refund from Government*||£2.75||£0.00|
|Total received by the National Trust||£13.75||£10.00|
*Gift Aid Admissions let us reclaim tax on the whole amount paid - an extra 25 per cent - potentially a very significant boost to our places' funds.
- This trail is aimed at families and adults.
- Meeting point
- The Woodland Wassailing Trail is self-guided and starts in the Heritage Orchard.
- What to bring and wear
- The trail is based around the gardens and grounds, which can get muddy at this time of year. Please make sure to wear suitable clothing.
- The trail is based around the accessible path in the gardens, and heads into the woodland. The woodland is relativity flat, but can get muddy and bumpy.