2019 National Trust photography competition rules
Please ensure you read the competition rules as set out in the following terms and conditions. Entry into the competition will be taken to mean you agree to these rules.
Please note, submissions will only be considered for the 2019 Handbook cover and membership card.
1. This competition is open to all residents of the UK, except for employees of the National Trust, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
2. All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all terms and conditions are adhered to. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. The judges’ decisions (whether in relation to determining any shortlists, runners up, or winners) are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding such decisions.
4. Entries should be submitted via email to Handbook2019@nationaltrust.org.uk only. Image files (from both digital cameras and smartphones) must be a landscape image, suitable to wrap the cover of a book or one side of a membership card, a minimum of 300dpi and 4000 pixels in length as compressed jpeg file of maximum 10Mb. Any number of images may be submitted. Entrants must supply their name, email address and where the image was taken on the email. We regret that we are unable to accept postal entries.
5. All entries must be received by 23:59 on 2 September 2018. Late, incomplete or corrupt entries will not be accepted.
6. Entrants under the age of 16 must obtain the consent of a parent or guardian prior to submitting any images.
7. All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere (excluding social media) or have won a prize in any other photographic competition.
8. All images entered must celebrate your experiences at National Trust outdoor places and what nature means to you.
9. The pictures must be taken on National Trust land.
10. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the consent of anyone who is identifiable, or owns any property, in that image or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 16 and that they have been advised of the purpose of the submission and that their photograph may be published by the National Trust. Should the image be shortlisted, you will be contacted to provide a written consent for use by the individual (or parent). The photograph can only go through to judging for the shortlist with this consent.
11. Entrants must ensure that the photographs they are submitting are their own work, that they own the copyright for them and that they do not infringe the copyright or other rights of any third party or any laws.
12. Entrants will retain copyright and moral rights in their submitted images however, by entering, all entrants:
(a) grant the National Trust non-exclusive rights to use the images on the cover or within the 2019 National Trust Member Handbook and/or on the 2019 National Trust membership card.
(b) grant the National Trust non-exclusive rights to use the images to promote the competition the images were submitted to or for similar future competitions within a five year period of the winners of the competition being announced;
(c) agree that the uses referred to at Clauses 12(a) and 12(b) above may include publishing, displaying or otherwise reproducing the images (whether on the internet, in the National Trust Magazine, in exhibitions or otherwise) provided such use is for the purposes of promoting the competition or similar future competitions only; and
(d) agree that the National Trust may contact them using the contact details they provide to discuss potential use of the images beyond promotion of the competition. Such discussion and negotiation will be independent from the competition and will not affect entrants’ chances of winning.
13. The National Trust will endeavour to credit the photographer whenever his or her image is used and published by the National Trust.
14. The judging for the handbook and membership card will be to determine the most visually appealing interpretations of this year’s competition theme.
15. The two winners and two runners-up will be notified by email by 31 October 2018. A list of the winners and runners-up will be on the National Trust website or available from the National Trust Supporter Service Centre from 1 November 2018. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the National Trust reserves the right to select the first runner-up from the remaining shortlisted entries as the winner.
16. The overall winners of the 2019 Handbook and Membership Card Photography Competition will see their image printed as the cover for the 2019 Handbook or the 2019 membership cards – mailed to National Trust members. In addition, they will receive a Panasonic Lumix DC-G9M camera provided by our sponsors, Panasonic. Two runners-up will each receive a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G80M, also provided by our sponsor Panasonic. The prizes as described are available on the date of publication. All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
17. The winners may be required to take part in publicity and their name and county may be published on the National Trust website, in the National Trust Magazine and other National Trust publications, as well as wider media reporting on the competition.
18. Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the National Trust and accordingly the National Trust may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the promoter as a result thereof.
19. English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.
Enter the competition
Email us your best shots of the spaces you love to explore, making sure you've read the rules before you enter