Art and collections publications
Our many research publications provide more detailed information on our collections. Here are some selected highlights and recent editions.
The National Trust Historic Houses & Collections Annual brings together in-depth articles by leading specialists and curatorial experts. It also features shorter articles, such as high-profile interviews, highlights of recent loans and acquisitions, an exhibition diary and curator-profile pieces.
Published in association with Apollo magazine, the Annual provides illuminating insights into a wide range of research topics relating to collections objects, architecture, gardens, interior design and libraries, among many others. Recent editions can be downloaded below. If you require an earlier edition, please email our curatorial department.
Historic Houses & Collections Annual 2019 edition
The current edition has been newly designed for 2019. Highlights include:
- An exploration of the interconnectedness of the people and objects associated with the National Trust’s houses and mainland Europe
- The British Ambassador to the Netherlands shares his love of the Dutch masters; Oonagh Kennedy explores Lord Astor’s fascination with an idealised European past; and Susan Hayward explores an Anglo-Spanish connection at Tyntesfield
- Several of our curators take a close look at some fascinating objects with continental origins, including a remarkable 17th-century Italian painting recently acquired for Osterley Park and a newly conserved French clock/barometer at Knole
Published twice a year, the National Trust Arts, Buildings & Collections Bulletin (ABC Bulletin) digital magazine showcases the latest curatorial and conservation news, projects and expertise at the National Trust. Current and recent editions can be downloaded below. If you’d like to receive the ABC Bulletin direct to your inbox or require an earlier edition, please email us.
ABC Bulletin Spring 2020 edition
In the latest digital edition of the ABC Bulletin, you'll find:
- New revelations about James Wyatt’s unfinished house at Killerton
- A visit to Wolf's Cove model village
- Samuel Johnson’s Books at Felbrigg Hall
- Creating a new carpet for Carlyle’s House
- A glimpse inside the Nostell Dolls' House
- Exploring a decade of Trust New Art
- Chastleton House and the Ashmolean collection
- A collaborative De Morgan exhibition at Wightwick Manor
- Remembering Trevor Proudfoot (1954–2019)