Leaving a gift in your will
From restoring world-famous art to protecting wildlife habitats, gifts in wills are used right at the heart of our work. Please consider leaving a legacy to help look after the places you love.
Together, we can help nature recover, bring people closer to it and ensure our shared history continues to inspire us all.
Start writing your will for free
We’ve partnered with two specialists so anyone can write or amend a simple will for free. Either option means you can have an expertly written will made at no cost to you. Whilst there's absolutely no obligation, we hope you’ll consider leaving a legacy to the National Trust to help look after our nation’s most beautiful and precious landscapes, for the benefit of everyone.
Bequeathed offers a simple way to create a will online from the comfort of your own home. Using Bequeathed is so quick and easy, and it means that you can make your will at a time and pace that suits you. All you need to do is:
- Visit the Bequeathed website below and follow the steps to register
- Complete the online interview to create a draft of your will
- Attend a free appointment, by phone or video call, at-home or in-office, of up to 30 minutes with an accredited legal firm to check the will fulfils your wishes
- Once the process is complete, the legal firm will send you your will, either by post or digitally, for you to sign and have witnessed, and you can return it for secure storage at no cost to you
National Free Wills Network
If you'd rather make or amend your will face to face, we've also partnered with the National Free Wills Network to give you access to hundreds of solicitors across the country. Talking your will through with a specialist helps tailor the service to your needs and makes it easier to leave a gift in your will, if you wish. Spaces are limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. All you need to do is:
- Fill in the form below to let us know you’d like to use the National Free Wills Network
- We will refer you to the National Free Wills Network and they will send a pack directly to you which will contain a list of your local participating solicitors and a form
- Contact your chosen solicitor to make an appointment, take along your form and get your simple will written for free
Why leave a gift in your will?
Without gifts in wills the National Trust wouldn’t be able to protect and look after all the places in our care. Any legacy, no matter how large or small, makes a lasting difference, and if you like, you can choose to leave your gift to the place that matters most to you.
These beautiful places of nature and history are at risk – and recent times have shown how much we need these places to escape to. A gift in a will could support rangers, conservation experts and volunteers to replant hedgerows and wildflower meadows, repair coastal paths, protect historic homes, look after wildlife and so much more. Together, we can help nature and history to thrive for generations to come.
How your gift will help
Your legacy will only be used for the purpose you intend it for. This could be for anything you like, such as woodland or coast conservation, to help protect a particular historical property or to keep a garden in bloom for generations to come. Every penny of your gift will help to look after the places you love.
Our donor newsletter has more information on how gifts in wills have previously helped us. You can also read our Annual Report and statement of accounts to find out more.