Leaving a legacy in your will
From restoring world-famous art to protecting wildlife habitats, gifts in wills are used right at the heart of our work. Please consider leaving a legacy in your will and help look after the places you love.
Why leave a legacy in your will?
Without gifts in wills the National Trust wouldn’t be able to protect and look after all the places in our care. Any gift, no matter how large or small, makes a lasting difference, and if you like, you can choose to leave your gift to the place that matters most to you.
A legacy in a will could support rangers, conservation experts and volunteers to replant hedgerows and wildflower meadows, repair coastal paths, protect historic homes, look after wildlife and so much more.
" My late husband, Ron, and I loved to visit Stourhead. It just seemed right to leave a legacy to the National Trust for all the years of pleasure Ron and I shared. "
Start writing your free will
We’ve partnered with two specialists so you can write or amend a simple will for free. Either option means you can have an expertly written will at no cost to you. Whilst there's absolutely no obligation, we hope you’ll consider leaving a legacy in your will to the National Trust to help us to look after our nation’s most beautiful and precious landscapes, for the benefit of everyone.
We’ve partnered with Bequeathed to offer you a simple way to create a will online from the comfort of your own home. Using Bequeathed is so quick and easy, and it means that you can make your will at a time and pace that best suits you. Bequeathed is only available in England and Wales. All you need to do is:
- Visit the Bequeathed website and follow the steps to register
- Take the online interview with expert support and guidance available if you need it
- Once the process is complete, the system will generate your will and you can download it and follow the instructions to sign it and have it witnessed
National Free Wills Network
If you'd rather make or amend your will face to face, we've also partnered with the National Free Wills Network to give you access to hundreds of solicitors across the country. Talking through your will with a specialist can tailor the service to your needs and makes it easy to leave a legacy in your will to help look after places you love. Spaces are limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. All you need to do is:
- Fill in the below form to let us know you’d like to use the National Free Wills Network
- We will refer you to the Network and they will send a pack directly to you which will contain a list of your local participating solicitors and a form
- Contact your chosen solicitor to make an appointment, take along your form and get your simple will written for free
How your legacy will help
100 per cent of the money you donate in a legacy in your will is used for the purpose you intend it to be for. This could be for anything you like, such as woodland or coast conservation, to help conserve a particular historical property or to help a garden bloom for generations to come.
Our donor newsletter has more information on how gifts in wills have previously helped us. You can also read our Annual Report and statement of accounts to find out more.