Playing our part: our strategy to 2025
Our 21st-century ambition is to meet the needs of an environment under pressure, and the challenges and expectations of a fast-moving world.
We want to continue to maintain the highest standards of care for everything we look after, while working in a way that feels relevant and necessary to people and their day-to-day lives. Finally, we want to equip everyone in the National Trust with the skills and resources they need to do their jobs with ease and confidence, and to feel proud of our work.
Our strategy explains how we will do that. We will:
Look after the places in our care by:
- reducing our conservation backlog and funding our annual conservation needs
- reducing energy use by 20% and sourcing 50% of energy from renewables by 2020/21
Play our part in restoring a healthy, beautiful natural environment by:
- improving our habitats, soils and water to a good condition for nature on our estates
- working with others to conserve and renew the nation’s most important landscapes
- developing and sharing new economic models for land use that support nature;
- championing the importance of nature in our lives today
Create experiences of our places that move, teach and inspire by:
- raising the standard of presentation and interpretation at all the places we look after
- making our outdoors experience better for all ages and needs
- revealing and exploring our cultural heritage through events and exhibitions
Help look after the places where people live by:
- finding new solutions for managing local green space
- celebrating local heritage and equipping communities to care for it
- engaging in shaping good housing and infrastructure development
Our staff, volunteers, members, donors and supporters will all help us to achieve this, and over the coming years we will: improve our membership offer; give visitors better experiences; introduce simpler and more efficient processes for our staff; and create more ways to volunteer and for volunteers to feel their skills are recognised.