VarvassiTotland Bay, Isle Of Wight
- Guests 5
- Bedrooms 3
- Preferred changeover day Wednesday
- Minimum stay 3 nights
- Number of dogs welcome 2
- Acorn rating 3 What's this?
- Reference 001003
About VarvassiOn the Needles headland, this characterful former coastguard’s house has stunning sea views you’ll love.
Varvassi is one of a row of holiday cottages that once housed the area’s coastguards. Simple yet comfortable, Varvassi benefits from stunning views out to sea and character features including a wood burner.
Take advantage of the cottage’s stunning location and enjoy a wander to the Tennyson Monument, an impressive granite cross erected in 1897 at the highest point on the down.
A short drive away is the National Trust’s Mottistone Manor and gardens. Explore this pretty country house with its beautiful herbaceous borders and cosy tea room.
Why book with us?
- Unrivalled locations
- Free entry to our places
- Award-winning customer service
- Help us care for nature, beauty and history
Our Covid promise
- Postpone or refund with no admin fee
- Enhanced cleaning regime
- Discover more about our Covid promise
Features and facilities
- Cot & high chair available
- Microwave available
- Fridge available
- Freezer available
- Dishwasher available
- Washing machine available
- Tumble dryer available
- Telephone not available
- Television available
- DVD available
- WiFi* not available
- Open fire / wood burner available
- Garden available
- BBQ not available
Not accessibleView accessibility guide (PDF 2129 KB)
Kitchen/dining room, sitting room with wood burner, three bedrooms (1 double with 5' bed and 1 twin and 1 single) and bathroom with electric shower over bath.View Floor plan (PDF 202 KB)
Notes for guests
Access: The accessibility guide is for guidance only. For up to date photos, please see the images on the webpage.
Heating: Night storage heating included.
Parking: There is a parking area adjacent to the row of cottages.
Garden: There is a shared grassed area to the front of the cottages.
Children should be supervised as the garden is not enclosed and the cottages are within 5 minutes walk from the cliffs edge.
Utilities: Water is regularly pumped uphill to a holding tank at these cottages. There are also individual tanks above each cottage. If there is very high usage all at once this can drain the tanks and you will need to wait for them to refill before water is again available. It is therefore best to spread baths out over the day.
Washing machine and tumble dryer is provided in a a shared utility area.
Logs/charcoal: Additional logs can be purchased in advance through the contact centre. Logs are £6.00 per bag or £25 for unlimited access to the log store.
Offers: Guests will have free access (during opening hours) to all Isle of Wight National Trust properties. Please take your holiday confirmation invoice as proof of eligibility to gain entry.
Please note: These cottages are in a very exposed position. In periods of high winds car doors may slam and debris may be blown around, for this reason the picnic benches have had to be removed.
Ferries: We recommend that if you are travelling to the Isle of Wight, you should book the ferries early due to the excessive bookings at holiday periods. There are currently three options available depending on your preferred route:
1) Wightlink Ferries - www.wightlink.co.uk. National Trust Holidays guests receive a 10% discount with Wightlink ferries between Lymington and Yarmouth, Portsmouth and Fishbourne and the catamaran between Portsmouth and Ryde (foot passenger service only). Follow this link to access Wightlink's booking system. The discount is applied once you have selected the crossing times.
2) Red Funnel Ferries - www.redfunnel.co.uk Travel Southampton/East Cowes.
3) Hovertravel - www.hovertravel.co.uk – foot passenger hovercraft service only from Portsmouth to Ryde
Bike sheds: There are two bike sheds that are shared with Irex and Pomone. The smaller shed holds two bikes and the larger shed holds four.
Similar places to stay
One of a row of former coastguard cottages with brilliant sea views, on the cliffs of Totland Bay.
With views over the Purbeck Hills from the bedroom, this unusual cottage makes a quirky escape.