Building Nether Alderley Mill
Nether Alderley Mill has been developed for hundreds of years - documents dating back as far as 1391 tell us about a water mill at Nether Alderley. The mill has continued to grow and change ever since.
First records of the mill. Probably a small timber-framed building, there's no evidence that it stood on the same site as today's mill, but it seems likely.
Between 1595 and 1597 the mill was completely rebuilt, although it was a smaller building than that of today, some of its stone work can still be seen in the basement.
Down in the mill tunnels the date 1746 is carved into stonework, the date we believe the mill was enlarged to its current size and layout. To save on cost the builder used salvaged materials from the earlier building - stonework and roof timbers all show evidence of having been re-used. This new mill needed more power so the millpond and tunnels were built at the same time.
In 1787 new plans of the village were drawn, showing the drying kiln for the first time.
In the early 1800s a new upper waterwheel and cast-iron mechanism were added. In the 1840s a new lower waterwheel was added and new tunnels cut under the mill to take away water more efficiently. In the 1870s a new cast-iron hurst frame was installed as well as the gearing to connect it to the upper waterwheel.