New Forest Northern Commons - Hale Purlieu
On the far north-western side of the New Forest, Hale Purlieu is made up of dry and wet heathland, comprising of mires, bogs, scrub and woodland.
Hale Purlieu is one of the only National Trust sites in the New Forest where protected silver studded blue butterflies can be seen feeding amongst the heather, and nightjars are regularly heard 'chrr'-ing during summer evenings.
The site has some of the finest examples of wetland valley mires in the Forest, hosting many rare species of bog flora.
The word ‘Purlieu’ means ‘deafforested’ or ‘no longer subject to forest law’. This came after 1280 when the common was taken out of the New Forest area; it was reinstated back within the boundary in 1964 under the New Forest Act.
Being on the edge of the Forest, views from the Common’s high points looking south east make the Forest look like an almost endless landscape of gentle valleys, open hill sides and woodland.