Winter walks in the New Forest
In line with government guidance, our New Forest Northern Commons are open for local visitors to access for walks. We ask all visitors to follow guidance on social distancing to keep everyone safe.
These three very different downloadable trails draw you into some of the Forest's fascinating history, and magnificent ancient landscapes. The Ibsley walk takes you back into its Second World War past. An early stroll across Hale Purlieu will reveal mist-covered valleys, and at Hightown look out for New Forest ponies on frosty lawns.
If you're driving to walk on your local Common and find that a car park is full, please come back another time. Help protect the New Forest by not parking on the verges.
The Countryside Code
Please respect and protect the New Forest while you enjoy its unique landscapes by following these guidelines:
Respect other people
- Consider the local community and other people enjoying the outdoors
- Park carefully so access to gateways and driveways are clear
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Follow paths but give way to others where it’s narrow
Protect the natural environment
- Leave no trace of your visit, take all your litter home
- Don’t have BBQs or fires
- Keep dogs under effective control
- Bag and bin any dog poo
- Please don't camp on our commons
Enjoy the outdoors
- Plan ahead, check what facilities are open, be prepared
- Follow advice and local signs and obey social distancing measures