The Buxton family branch linked with Paycocke’s House moved from Sudbury, rooting themselves at Coggeshall in the early 16th-century. They also worked in the cloth trade.
The Buxtons were already connected to the Paycocke family through marriage after a young apprentice, Robert Buxton, caused quite a scandal by marrying his master’s daughter, Emma Paycocke.
Links with Paycocke’s House
From records it seems William Buxton, a clothier born c1580, was the first Buxton to enter Coggeshall. Yet we have no concrete evidence that he was connected with Paycocke’s House.
The wills of subsequent Buxton generations mention their ownership of property in West Street. These may be referring to Paycocke’s House but it is not certain. The first definite link between the Buxtons and Paycocke’s House begins with one Isaac Buxton.
Isaac was born in 1672 and followed in his family’s footsteps becoming a successful clothier.
He and his wife, Elizabeth, had six children. Isaac was a committed nonconformist, heavily involved in the building and financing of the new Congregational Chapel in 1710. He was a trustee of the chapel and also of Gooday’s Charity.
Isaac must have been very wealthy as he owned lots of properties in the local area.
He generously allowed his son, John Buxton, to live at Paycocke’s whilst he lived further down the road. We may reasonably assume that Paycocke’s was not the Buxton family home and was not the most prestigious dwelling at that time.
Upon Isaac’s death in 1732, Paycocke’s passed to his son Samuel. Samuel sadly died five years later, leaving the property to his brother Charles.
Charles lived most of his life in London as an oil merchant. It seems he had little desire to live in Paycocke’s and chose to rent the house to Robert Ludgater. Robert bought the house from his landlord in 1746.
After the sale of Paycocke’s the family remained in the village and were involved with brewing, banking and the Church.
Did you know...
The Buxton’s are thought to be of Norse origin, settling in the village of Buxton, Norfolk which is where they get their name from
The Buxton crest depicts a lion breathing fire. This stands for courage, bravery, strength, valour and verocity
The Buxton family are believed to have been responsible for the construction of the 17th-century Mansard wing at Paycockes (wing to the east at the rear)
Lord Noel Buxton, responsible for the 20th-century restoration of Paycocke’s, is a direct descendant of the original William Buxton, born c1580 as his 8x great grandson
If you are interested in tracing the Buxton family tree, please refer to C L Buxton, The Buxtons of Coggeshall, (1910).