Goat's cheese tabbouleh salad
A modern twist on the classic mezze salad, packed with fresh mint, topped with sweet pomegranate and creamy goat’s cheese.
- 200gpearl barley
- 50mlextra virgin rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tspground mixed spice
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 40gflat leaf parsley
- 175gtomato, finely diced
- 3 spring onions
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 40g rocket
- 1 pomegranate, seeds
- To serve:
- 4 slices bread
- 200ggoat's cheese, cut into 4 slices
- For the dressing:
- 2 tsphoney
- 1 tspcold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 tbspwhite wine vinegar
- 1 tspchopped fresh mint
- Rinse the pearl barley well, place in a pan and cover with cold water, add a sprinkle of salt and place on the hob, bring to the boil and cook until tender, adding more water as necessary.
- Place the oil, cinnamon, mixed spice, lemon juice and honey in a bowl, mix well and add the hot barley, stir well then leave until cold.
- Finely chop the mint and the parsley.
- Add the tomatoes, spring onions, chopped mint and parsley to the cold barley mixture and stir well season well with the salt and pepper.
- For your croutons; Use a pastry cutter which is slightly bigger than the diameter of the cheese and cut four discs from the bread, place on a tray and toast until golden.
- To serve, place the rocket in the bowl with the salad and mix to evenly distribute, place a portion in your serving bowl.
- Place a disc of goat's cheese on each of your croutons and put back under the grill or in the oven until lightly melting, if you have a blow torch use this to toast the outside of the cheese.
- Place the goat's cheese crouton on top of your salad and scatter over the pomegranate seeds.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork until combined, drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.