Ahh the smell of Christmas baking...Try our traditional mince pie recipe this year. It makes 50 mince pies, so it's great for feeding a crowd of friends and family at Christmas.
- plain flour 850g/1lb, 14oz
- caster sugar 425g/15oz
- margarine 567g/1lb, 4oz
- 3 eggs
- ground almonds 425g/15oz
- 6 drops almond essence
- Small pinch salt
- 2 jars of good quality mince meat
- Rub together the flour and margarine, until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add caster sugar, salt, ground almonds and essence.
- Add eggs and mix together until it resembles dough.
- Divide dough in two: half for pastry cases, half for lids.
- Roll out half of the dough and cut 50 circles using 7cm fluted cutter (for base).
- Grease a bun tin, add pastry circles and press down. Repeat until all pastry is used.
- Roll out remaining dough and cut out 50 circles using a 6cm fluted cutter (for lid).
- Add one heaped teaspoon of mince meat to each pie.
- Egg wash around the edge of each base, place lid on top and carefully press down.
- Egg wash the lids of each pie and sprinkle with caster sugar. Pierce a hole in each one.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees celsius / 325 degrees fahrenheit and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.