A fresh and vibrant salad for the summer.
- 20ml/1oz Vegetable oil
- 200g/8oz Day-old dry bread
- 1 Cucumber
- 300g/12oz Tomatoes, cubed
- 100g/4oz Red onion, thinly sliced
- 30g/1oz Basil, roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz Capers, drained and chopped
- 1 Yellow pepper, roasted and cubed
- 1 Red pepper, roasted and cubed
For the dressing:
- 50ml/2oz Coldpressed rapeseed oil
- 15ml/1 tbs White wine vinegar
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 5g/1 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- Place the vegetable oil in a lined tray and add the cubed bread, sprinkle over a good pinch of salt and pepper and toss the whole lot together, place in the oven at 190c and bake until golden and crispy, turning occasionally.
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds, cut into thin slices.
- Place the tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, basil and capers in a large bowl and mix together.
- Roast the peppers in a hot oven and when blackened remove and put in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to steam for 15 minutes, remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small cubes.
- Add the peppers to the bowl and mix well.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsified, pour over the salad. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the croutons and leave to stand for 30 minutes before serving.