A fresh and vibrant salad for the summer.
- 20mlvegetable oil
- 200gday-old dry bread
- 300gtomatoes, cubed
- 100gred onion, thinly sliced
- 30gbasil, roughly chopped
- 50g capers, drained and chopped
- 1yellow pepper, roasted and cubed
- 1red pepper, roasted and cubed
For the dressing:
- 50mlcoldpressed rapeseed oil
- 15mlwhite wine vinegar
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1tspwholegrain mustard
- Place the vegetable oil in a lined tray and add the cubed bread, sprinkle over a good pinch of salt and pepper and toss the whole lot together, place in the oven at 190C and bake until golden and crispy, turning occasionally.
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds, cut into thin slices.
- Place the tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, basil and capers in a large bowl and mix together.
- Roast the peppers in a hot oven and when blackened remove and put in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to steam for 15 minutes, remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small cubes.
- Add the peppers to the bowl and mix well.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsified, pour over the salad. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the croutons and leave to stand for 30 minutes before serving.