Pickled radish and vegetable slaw
There's nothing boring about this simple salad. The radishes' crisp and peppery bite pack a unique punch to this colourful side salad. Its crunch and freshness make it a great accompaniment for a barbecue or alfresco dinner.
For the pickling liquor
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- 100ml water
- 200g caster sugar
- 10g coriander seeds
- 8 bay leaves
- 200ml orange juice
- 2 tsp black pepper
For the vegetables
- 400g carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 400g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 250g radishes, thinly sliced
- Place all the pickling ingredients into a large sauce pan, place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the carrots and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the shredded cabbage, stir well and simmer again for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the radishes and stir well.
- Place into a container, cover and chill in the fridge.
- Taste and season before serving.