Winter Light Trail at Waddesdon
Stroll through the Aviary, past the Manor façade and across the illuminated Woodland Walk to the Stables, where giant glowing baubles and a light-in-motion installation in the Coach House gallery awaits.
1. Welcome to Winter Light: The whole family will enjoy following our illuminated light trail around Waddesdon’s Pleasure Grounds. Begin walking through the illuminated sign as you leave the shuttle bus at the North Front fountain. Follow the LED archway of sparkling dormant trunks to the illuminated ‘La Carosse’ sculpture, shrouded with ripples of moving light. Follow the path around to your right. Please do not touch the installations.
2. Reflections: Don’t forget to look up! Catch glinting mirror balls high in the tree canopy, reflecting brilliant hues of gold, orange and red. Next you will come across the ‘circle of light’, featuring vertical pipes of light dancing in sequence around circular bedding.
3. Vine Bridge: Take the right fork in the path, towards Tay Bridge. Like illuminated jungle vines, hundreds of lit fibres will hang from a tree at the top of the ravine, projecting a delicate blanket of light. As you pass beyond our snake-like shrubberies, discover a series of melodious trees and interactive ‘tap boxes’, allowing our younger guests to orchestrate their own colour combinations as bursts of bright smoke.
4. Marble Valley: The Pleasure Grounds light trail culminates with Marble Valley, in which globes of light produce the appearance of cascading down the hillside.
5. Manor Illuminations: Enjoy how the Manor’s façade comes to life as coloured lights set to festive music, play across the architecture highlighting its distinctive decorative features. Two unique shows will alternate every 5 minutes. Festoon lighting will guide you through the Christmas market, set against the backdrop of Lafite, Joana Vasconcelos’ giant candlestick sculptures, illuminated in spotlights.
6. Kitchen Drive: Stroll down kitchen drive, beneath the illuminated treeline swathed in an array of magical patterns. Upon reaching the Summer House, find some interactive ‘tap’ boxes offering you the opportunity to choreograph the surrounding trees colours.
7. I Saw Three Ships: Take a musical meander through the impressive archway, inspired by the Sèvres porcelain ship vases in the House, and the festive carol ‘I saw three ships’. For more information see, www.annawhetstone.com Please keep to the marked paths and do not touch the installation.
8. Illuminated Woodland Trail: Follow Miss Alice’s Drive to discover the many Christmas carol-themed light boxes created by 20 local schools. Remember to vote for your favourite design! You will also come across a series of lanterns, again produced by school children from 15 local primary schools. To see which schools have been involved, see www.waddesdon.org.uk Please keep to the marked paths and do not touch the installation.
9. Stables: Arrive at the Stables and walk through the Coach House gallery where you’ll see an amazing light installation. As you wander through, dozens of orbs of light will rise and fall from the ceiling to the floor, set to a soundscape. The illuminated kinetic orbs will change in time to the audio setting. New for this year are giant fairy-light baubles at the Stables Courtyard, providing a unique Instagram frame. Please keep to the marked paths and do not touch the installation.
You made it
Following this trail on mobile or tablet? Share your experience.