Education volunteers at Witley & Milford Commons
We work with many local schools and groups to experience life on the Commons and discover our amazing habitats and wildlife. Help children learn in a fun and exciting way...
What sort of tasks could I do?
- Plan and deliver a range of engaging packages for visiting schools and community groups of all ages.
- Share with visitors a passion for the outdoors and for the special places we look after.
- Support and/or lead activities such as pond dipping, den building, nature trails, orienteering, bug hunting, creative writing and historical studies.
- Help out at seasonal and site-specific events. This could be mince pies and wreath making at Christmas, a Cadburys Easter egg hunt, bushcraft in the summer or an outdoor activities day at half term.
- Contribute to planning and review sessions, tidying and cleaning equipment and preparing new resources.
- The opportunity to take the lead on projects, for example by taking a new assembly package in to schools or by organising a specific series of activities.
Al Taylor leads our team of 11 volunteers and would be more than happy to chat to you about our education volunteers. Phone 01428 681054 or drop him an email.
Meet Sandy - one of our team
I’m a part-time primary school teacher and also studying an Environmental Science degree with the Open a University.
I’ve been volunteering at Witley for over a year and help with the schools and community events. The team of volunteers are friendly, keen and great to work with. Al is always encouraging, appreciative and eager to let volunteers use and develop their own skills.
It’s great fun and wonderful to be able to encourage children to learn about the natural environment, the National Trust and enjoy the great outdoors.
We also have social events – barbecues, outings and wider National Trust volunteer events too.
" "Volunteering at Witley is one big adventure! No two days are the same - whether pond dipping, den building, bug hunting, geocaching or even toasting marshmallows over the fire pit. I'm not sure who has the most fun - the children attending the events or our regular volunteers!" "