The Benthall return to Benthall
The house came back into the family in 1934. The family continues to tenant the property today from the National Trust after giving it to the National Trust in 1958.
In 1918 a son of Edward’s (the Bengal judge), Rev. Charles Benthall, obtained a lease of the house and lived there for a few years with his family. This was the start of the family returning to Benthall.
In 1934 the property again came up for sale at auction. Luckily, Mary Clementina Benthall (1879-1960) managed to purchase the house and estate before this could happen, this was very dramatic and meant that Mary Clementina put everything she had into the sale. Mary Clementina was a granddaughter of Edward Benthall, and her husband James Floyer Dale was too. They then both changed their names to Benthall.
James died in 1942, and in 1958 Mary Clementina proposed to leave the estate to her cousin Sir Paul Benthall, son of the Rev. Charles Benthall. Sir Paul persuaded her to leave it the National Trust together with some of the contents. Sir Paul’s elder brother, Sir Edward Benthall also provided part of the endowment required to maintain the house.
Mary Clementina Benthall died in 1960 and Sir Edward in 1961. Sir Paul and Lady Benthall became the first tenants of the National Trust from 1962 to 1985.
Sir Paul’s son James, and his wife Jill then took on the tenancy. Sir Paul and Lady Benthall continued to live in the house until their deaths in 1992 and 1988 respectively.
In 1996 Richard Benthall, James’s twin brother took over the tenancy and lived at Benthall with his with Stella until 2004. The tenancy has now passed to Richard’s son Edward, and his wife Sally.