Squash soup with seed gremolata
A perfect light dish with seasonal flavours mixed in.
Soups and starters
- 600g butternut squash
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g onion, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest
- 2tsp salt
- 150g carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp pepper
For the gremolata
- 20g flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 2tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Portions of bread
- Cut the squash into large wedges, place on a baking tray and put into the oven at 160°C/gas mark 3 cooking until soft, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before removing the seeds.
- Place the oil in a large stock pot over a medium heat, once hot add the onions, 1tsp of salt and the lemon zest, sauté for around five minutes, or until softening.
- Add the squash and carrots to the onions and stir well, add a good pinch of salt and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, ground ginger and turmeric, stir well and then add enough water to cover.
- Boil until all the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup with a hand blender and adjust the seasoning using the pepper and a touch of salt if needed.
- For the gremolata: place the parsley, lemon juice, garlic and oil in your processor and blitz until smooth.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a frying pan and toast over a high heat until coloured and splitting.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the blitzed parsley mix and pulse a few times to break them down. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve a spoonful on top of the soup at the point of service.