Explore places with Roman history
‘We had a tremendous day out with four kids, all aged six and under,’ says a grandfather after a visit to Chedworth Roman Villa in Gloucestershire.
Chedworth is just one of the places we look after that you and the children can visit for a sense of what life was like in Roman times.
Here’s our pick of the best:
- Dress up as a Roman, try brass rubbing and play Roman table games at Chedworth Roman Villa, Gloucestershire
- Discover what conditions were like at the UK’s only Roman gold mine, Dolaucothi Gold Mines, Carmarthenshire
- Imagine you’re a soldier as you walk along the famous Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland. You can watch our short film, at the museum, to see what the buildings would have looked like 2000 years ago
- Ambleside Roman Fort was once home to 500 fierce infantrymen. See the remains of the fort in Cumbria today
- Have a family day out and learn about our ancestors at Letocetum Roman Baths, Staffordshire
- Take the children to Segontium, Gwynedd, to find out about how the Romans lived there.