Studley Royal deer park and St Mary's church
The evocative ruins of the Cistercian abbey are set beside the grounds of Studley Royal, a medieval deer park in Yorkshire. Little wonder it was declared Yorkshire’s first World Heritage Site.
Studley Royal deer park is a much-loved part of the estate; home to over 500 wild Red, Fallow and Sika deer. The Deer Park once contained the Tudor manor house known as Studley Royal House – but this was largely destroyed by fire in 1716 and so was rebuilt about 50 years later in the grand Palladian style. Sadly, this house too was damaged by fire in 1946. The building was entirely demolished shortly afterwards.
Today all that remains to remind us of the house is the impressive stable block, built between 1728 and 1732, which is now a private residence.
The Deer Park also contains a large variety of ancient trees – many are over 300 years old. The lime tree avenue leads the eye down through the deer park to the original entrance to the estate and all the way to Ripon Cathedral.
St Mary's Church
The religious fervour of the Victorians is displayed in the richly decorated high Anglican church of St Mary’s a religious masterpiece of architect William Burges.
The richly decorated Victorian Gothic church was commissioned in 1870 by the first Marquess and Marchioness of Ripon to commemorate the Marchioness’ brother who had been allegedly murdered in Greece.
Look out for the brightly coloured parrots carved into the wood inside the church.
Follow us on Twitter
Keep up with the latest news and events from Fountains Abbey on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook
Find out all the latest news, behind the scenes photos and what events are on by giving us a Like on Facebook.
Tag us on Instagram
We love photos - and especially photos of Fountains Abbey. If you snap some great pictures tag us or use #fountainsabbey. Follow us to keep up to date on what's going on around the estate.