Ulster Gardens Scheme announce open gardens schedule
For 2019 the Ulster Gardens Scheme has brought together a spectacular array of gardens which are yours to explore this summer.
Whether you’re a keen gardener eager for some helpful tips, or you simply enjoy discovering the splendour and beauty of unusual plants, there is something for everyone to enjoy in these charming gardens.
The Ulster Gardens Scheme kicks off on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 May in Castlewellan when Mr Sam Harrison opens his garden from 2pm to 5pm, on behalf of the National Trust, Northern Ireland’s largest conservation charity.
A plantsman’s garden, developed over a period of 35 years, year round interest is maintained through a wide range of colourful and unusual plants. The garden is arranged in peninsulas of trees and shrubs which jut onto the lawns, providing attractive vistas and shelter to many specimen plants. Features include a summer house, pond, island beds, woodland walk and a stumpery. Selected seating enhances the benefits of the scented plants. The garden is wildlife friendly, with birds and butterflies in abundance and is mostly suitable for wheelchairs.
Enjoy a summer’s day wandering around this secret garden paradise and pick up a few tips for your own garden. While you are there why not buy some plants to bring some new colour into your own garden?
Located within Castlewellan Forest Park, the garden entrance is the first road on the left (approximately 200 metres) inside the main gates. Castlewellan Forest Park is signposted in the centre of Castlewellan town.
Open Garden Summer dates:
The Ulster Gardens Scheme 2019 open gardens schedule continues through to August:
- Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May Mr Stephen and Mrs Pat Hey, Kesh
- Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May Mr Michael and Mrs Geraldine Galloway, Downpatrick - CANCELLED
- Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 June Dr Richard and Mrs Heather Burns, Coleraine
- Saturday 22 June Mr T McCaw and Mr T Raju, Ballynahinch
- Saturday 29 June and Sunday 30 June Joy and Maurice Parkinson, Ballyclare
- Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 August Mr and Mrs J Rafferty, Ballymena