Headley long ago
Headley can trace its origins back many years. It was part of the Copthorne Hundred, an administrative division devised by the Saxons.
The Manor of Headley is listed in the Domesday Survey of 1086 and it was held by Ralph of Felgeres. Previously, the manor was held by Countess Goda (the mother of King Harold) and it was granted to her by King Edward the Confessor.
At this time the heath would have been used for grazing animals and collecting furze, bracken and firewood by the villagers.
Lords of the Manor
Headley’s Lord of the Manor granted various rights to his tenants. These were granted many years ago and continued to around 1965.
Headley at war
Like so many other rural places in Southern England, Headley played its part in defending our nation. The Canadian Army trained on the heath, as did other troops.
Did you know?
after the war, films were shot on the heath, including Albert RN
devasting fires in 1956 burnt half of the heathland
Aspen, Bellamoss and Brown ponds were created in the 1970s
Looking after Headley
In the early days a local committee was formed to manage the heath and raise funds for its maintenance. The heath was very run down when the War Office derequisitioned it in 1948.
Today the Friends of Headley Heath continue to raise funds, and we work together to protect this beautiful area for all to enjoy.