Learning opportunities at Kinver Edge
Join us at the Rock Houses for a school visit with a difference. Get hands-on in these unique cave dwellings as you have a go at Victorian or Iron Age activities like lighting fires and making clay pots. Then explore the nature and history of the surrounding Kinver Edge countryside, an ancient and diverse landscape.
A range of tours and workshop sessions are available to book.
Iron Age workshop
Make clay pots, weave traditional wooden hurdles and light fires without matches to imagine life in the Iron Age. Complete your experience with a visit to the real Iron Age Hill Fort on top of Kinver Edge, just a short walk through the woods.
Victorian Daily Life
Try on costumes, handle real objects, and do the activities of daily Victorian life, from cleaning to playing games. Set in the atmospheric location of the Rock Houses, this visit can start great conversations about the differences between then and now.
Wildlife on the Edge
Get outdoors and learn about the wildlife of Kinver Edge with real scientific techniques. Find out why looking after this rare heathland is so important, and how humans have impacted on the habitat.
Planning your trip
- Workshops take around 2 hours and can accomodate 30 children at a time. For larger groups we recommend splitting the group in half, with one group doing a workshop session whilst the others go on a teacher-led walk in the countryside, then swapping over after a break for lunch. This usually takes around 4 and a half hours in total.
- Coach parking is available a short walk from the Rock Houses
- The Rock Houses are wheelchair accessible, as are some areas of the surrounding Kinver Edge countryside
- Your lunch can be eaten in the tea-rooms or picnic outdoors. Teachers can enjoy free hot drinks during your visit.
- Schools can book private tours and workshops on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays when the Houses are closed to the public
Education Group Membership
Taking out Education Group Membership (EGM) entitles your whole school to benefit from reduced rates for school visits to National Trust places, such as free tours of the Rock Houses for your whole class.
How to book
If you're interested in booking a school session either at the Rock Houses or in your school please contact us on 01384 872553 or by email.