If you love a Bakewell tart then you're sure to love this simple and delicious Bakewell slice. It's got everything from the crunchy pastry base to the sweet jam and rich almond sponge, so what's not to like? This crowd-pleasing bake is perfect for an after-dinner pudding or as cheeky snack with your favourite afternoon cuppa.
For the base
- 200g plain flour
- 100g baking margarine
- 30g icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- 200g raspberry jam
For the sponge
- 200g baking margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond essence
For the topping
- 30g flaked almonds
- Pre heat your oven to 160°C or gas mark 3 and line a 20cm x 20cm cake tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- For the base, place all the pastry ingredients into a food processor and mix until it starts to come together.
- Tip out onto a floured worktop and knead gently to form into a dough.
- Roll the pastry out and place into the bottom of your lined tray.
- For the filling, spread the jam over the pastry base, creating an even layer.
- For the sponge, place all the sponge ingredients into your mixer. Turn it on to a medium speed and combine everything together until you have a light and fluffy sponge.
- Pour the sponge over the jam filling, ensuring an even covering.
- For the topping, evenly sprinkle the flaked almonds over the sponge.
- Place your tray into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until the sponge has set and the top is golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting.